Pakistan Boxing Federation says the event has now been rescheduled to start on October 20, a three month delay. PHOTO: FILEKARACHI:
The Pakistan Boxing Federation (PBF) has postponed the second edition of the Shaheed Benazir Bhutto International Boxing Championship due to a delay in the issuance of funds by the country’s sports board.
The tournament, which was due to start from July 20 at the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) Complex in Islamabad, has now been scheduled to begin on October 20 at the same venue.
The PBF Secretary Akram Khan said the delay by the PSB led to the postponement but added that the event would now be planned in a befitting manner.
“We’re yet to receive the funds,” Khan told The Express Tribune. “Although the PSB has given the NOC and assured financial assistance, we cannot hold the event this month.
“It’s a huge event and the federation requires time to make the arrangements.”
The PBF has invited over 50 countries including European teams and Akram added that the federation was expecting the event to be a success.
“There will be fewer international events in October and we are expecting nearly all the teams to take part.”
The first edition of the international championship that was held in Karachi in January last year also saw boxers from over 50 countries taking part.
Pakistan to field three teams
Meanwhile, in order to give maximum exposure to the boxers, Pakistan will field three teams – Green, White and Red – in the tournament.
“It’s a good chance for our players who rarely get international exposure,” said Khan
The secretary added that the teams will be selected from the NBP All Pakistan Ranking event in Quetta, which was postponed following the murder of Olympian Syed Abrar Hussain Shah last month and will now be held from September 26.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 2nd, 2011.