Posts tagged ‘against’

July 14, 2011

Imran Khan stands up against the raised age bar for alcohol consumption

Imran has said he would file a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the court because he feels that it is unconstitutional for the government to bar a person’s freedom of choice despite being an adult.


“I will go to court. I will launch Facebook campaign on Power to You. I met a lot of people and heard a lot of discussion but no one does anything. It is a problem with this country,” he said.


“If the government things that you are an adult at 21, then they should allow you all the rights of an adult,” he added.


“I would request the entire country to support me. I want the people of this state and the nation to be with me. It [government move] is dangerous, personal freedom is being limited. “Ultimately where will it stop?” he asked.


Senior actor Amitabh Bachchan also seems to support Imran in his view as posting on his Twitter account, he said, “Also, on drinking age limit increase to 25 ! Err .. old and mature enough to vote for the country, or join army and fight for the nation … but not old and mature enough to be told when you are allowed to drink ???? Strange ?!!!!”
imran khan


July 4, 2011

Whoever tries to correct system people turn against him, says Registrar

ISLAMABAD: Despite many attempts QAU VC Masoom Yasin Zai could not be contacted. QAU Registrar Dr Shafiqueur Rehman said who ever belongs to his native area people start talking that he is Dr Shafique’s relative. He said it doesn’t matter that ARL is his relative or not he has been appointed on merit. He said according to new approach seat of ARL would also be created in other universities. He said whenever it will be required new seats will be created in QAU. Whenever some one tries to correct the system, people start talking against it, he added.Daily Times.

July 1, 2011

NLC SCAM: PAC extends deadline for action against ex-generals

The committee had set June 30 as the final deadline.

ISLAMABAD: 

As the army’s General Headquarters (GHQ) failed to meet what was considered the final deadline, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) – parliament’s most powerful accountability arm – has given the armed forces two more days to submit their report on the involvement of three former generals in the multi-billion-rupee National Logistic Cell (NLC) scam, sources said.

A committee constituted by the General Headquarters was supposed to submit its report about the alleged involvement of three former army generals – in the financial scam by June 30 – which, according to the PAC chairman, was the ‘final deadline’.

“We needed more time, but the PAC secretariat has given us two more days,” a defence official told The Express Tribune on Thursday.

Following an inquiry, the PAC, headed by the leader of Opposition in the National Assembly Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, had held Lt General (retd) Khalid Munir Khan, Lt General (retd) Mohammad Afzal Muzzafar, Major General (retd) Khalid Zaheer Akhtar and a top bureaucrat responsible for causing a Rs1.8 billion-loss to the national kitty.

The PAC had recommended that the GHQ to take action and recover the losses from the former top military officials concerned in the NLC scam, which dates back to 2008.

Between 2003 and 2008, the management of the NLC – the commercial logistic arm of the military – borrowed Rs4.2 billion from commercial banks and invested the money alongwith pensioners’ funds to invest in the stock market.

Since February 2009, the PAC has been struggling to reach a conclusion in the closely-watched case.

Although the PAC appears determined, it has so far refrained from announcing the penalties. During its meeting on June 13, defence officials had told the committee that the GHQ’s internal ‘Court of Inquiry’ had completed its report and the military top brass was reviewing it, after which it will be submitted to the parliamentary committee.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 1st, 2011.

June 30, 2011

AJK elections: Massive protest against alleged rigging

Protesters threaten to block Mangla road if re-polling is not held in two days.

MIRPUR: 

Protestors have given a two-day ultimatum to the AJK administration to ensure re-polls at certain constituencies where they allege the results were rigged.

The recent Legislative Assembly elections on the 26th were marred by disorder and blatant disregard for the sanctity of the electoral institution, as numerous media reports highlighting the rigging of results and shady procedural practices at polling stations all over AJK and Pakistan came to the fore.

While the protest at Shaheed Chowk in Mirpur lasted no more than two hours and remained peaceful, they threatened to block Mangla Road and march to Islamabad if their demand for fresh polls is not accepted within two days.

Around 4,000 protesters, mostly from the LA-2, LA-3 and LA-4 constituencies of Mirpur, led by Muslim Conference candidate Chaudhary Ashraf and Chaudhary Ruksar, the husband of independent candidate Aveena Rukhsar, were assembled at Shaheen Chowk.

Chaudhary Ashraf alleged that PPP candidate Barrister Sultan had rigged the results by switching ballot boxes. He cited the fact that the total count of the presiding officers showed him to be the winner. However, by the time the ballot boxes reached the returning officer, the vote count was against him. Chaudhary Rukhsar levelled similar allegations against PP candidates in his constituency as well, while threatening of repercussions if corrective measures were not taken. The protest had a strong democratic flavour to it with a few people identifying themselves as PP workers also coming out to protest against their own candidate and winner Barrister Sultan.

Strangely enough, the Muslim League-Nawaz and MQM were nowhere to be seen, even though both also made allegations of rigging. It would appear that a re-poll would be the natural conclusion, simply because all four parties including the Muslim Conference and even the PP have had several of their members highlight unfair practices during the polls.

The brouhaha over the AJK elections could become a point of vulnerability in Pakistan’s foreign policy with India, as the Pakistani government repeatedly accused India of rigging the elections in Indian Kashmir and called the entire process a “sham”.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 30th, 2011.

June 30, 2011

England to play 3 Tests, 4 ODIs against Pakistan

England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has agreed to contest three Tests, four One-Day Internationals (ODI) and three Twenty20 matches during January and February next year in UAE. PHOTO: AFP

LAHORE: 

Following an earlier announcement of Pakistan playing their ‘home’ series in the UAE, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has agreed to contest three Tests, four One-Day Internationals (ODI) and three Twenty20 matches during January and February next year.


England’s winter itinerary was not finalised when the announcement was made with Giles Clarke, ECB chairman, reportedly saying that UAE and Sri Lanka are being considered as possible venues for the country’s forthcoming ODI and Test series against Pakistan. However, the decision was made after agreement between both boards with the tour comprising three Twenty20s as part of preparations ahead of the World Twenty20 next year.


Sharjah remains idle


Meanwhile, it has also been learnt that Sharjah is keen to stage international matches once again between Full Member nations. The officials are eyeing Pakistan as they play six Tests, nine ODIs and five Twenty20s during their series against Sri Lanka and England.


However, The Express Tribune understands that the venue, where Pakistan have played 108 ODIs, is not fit to host an international fixture as it needs significant renovation. While the Sharjah Cricket Council is ready to renovate the venue, it is also seeking a guarantee that matches be finalised there before it undergoes changes.


The venue, once a popular place for the subcontinent teams as well, was isolated after scandals of match-fixing began to emerge and while they were never proved, countries have stayed away from Sharjah. It was, however, named as Afghanistan’s ‘home’ ground last year.